In more than 65 countries, our employees work to fulfil our vision of creating a future worth living. For patients. Worldwide. Every day.
Empowering people. Advancing care. Inspiring with our purpose and values.
Our more than 125,000 employees are our most valuable asset in bringing Fresenius Medical Care’s vision to life. That is why we give top priority to:
- Fostering an attractive, fair, and trusting work environment
- Growing and helping others to grow
- Together working to remain a successful, leading health care company
Employer attractiveness and employee retention
We aim to continuously attract, select, onboard and retain the right people for the right roles to enable us to translate our vision into reality and achieve our business goals. Thousands of new employees join us every year.
Our efforts to strengthen our position as an employer of choice include:
- Creating and implementing a “one global employer” brand based on our global employment value proposition
- Harmonizing and integrating our external and internal job boards and career sites in the course of implementing our Human Resources Information System
- Regularly tracking our employee turnover rate and monitoring our progress in this area
The ability to attract, but also to retain talent, is essential for our Company’s success. So that our employees remain committed to our corporate targets and values and contribute to our long-term success, we have put various measures in place to encourage and improve employee engagement.
Our goal is to establish an ongoing dialogue with our employees with the aim of boosting commitment, increasing performance, and ultimately improving patients’ quality of life. To this end, we conduct regular engagement surveys, including pulse surveys, to gather feedback and assess employees’ engagement levels, tracking the overall engagement score.
Learning and development
Our ability to continually learn and quickly apply the knowledge we have gained not only gives us a competitive edge, but also drives excellence in patient care and promotes employee engagement – now and in the future.
This is why we invest in our employees on an ongoing basis:
- Participation in programs at world-class business schools for our senior managers
- Leadership development programs aligned with our business strategy and focused on future capabilities
- Regular training for our nurses and healthcare professionals
- Structured, on-the-job training for our manufacturing staff
- Access to high-quality digital content available 24/7 for all employees worldwide
In 2023, Fresenius Medical Care will launch a new global learning platform that integrates our existing systems and content to give all employees the opportunity to learn, develop and grow. This new system will also increase our reporting and learning analytics capabilities.
Further opportunities for learning include mentoring, coaching, short-term assignments and project experience to build expertise.
Respecting human rights
As a global health care company, we are committed to saving lives, promoting health and improving our patients’ quality of life. Our products and services help to improve access to good and affordable health care in many countries. Respecting human rights and upholding labor and employment standards are an integral part of our corporate responsibility.
In 2019, the Management Board adopted our global Human Rights, Workplace Rights and Labor and Employment Principles, where we considered, for purposes of guidance, the principles described in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Labor Organization’s 1998 Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work. This statement complements our commitment and our principles toward respecting human rights, as addressed in our Code of Ethics and Business Conduct.
Inclusion and diversity
We want our employees to feel empowered and appreciated, which is why we attach great importance to inclusion and diversity – not just as a smart thing to do, but as the right thing to do.
Diversity is defined in a broad way, including – but not limited to – age, gender, nationality, cultural and ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, educational background, and work experience. Diversity can only be effective in the context of inclusion. We define inclusion as giving people the feeling that they are respected and valued as unique individuals. Consequently, our global inclusion and diversity efforts focus on enhancing the sense of belonging of all our employees worldwide.
We do this at a global, regional and local level through:
- Communication and events
- Training, for example on unconscious bias
- Creating and reviewing policies
- Metrics, such as the questions in our engagement survey (example: “I feel a sense of belonging at work”), and the number of employees engaged in Employee Resource Groups
- Leadership engagement programs
- Employee resource groups such as LGBTQIA & Allies ERG or the Women in Technology ERG in North America or the Women’s Leaders Network in Asia Pacific.
The Management Board of Fresenius Medical Care drives and supports all inclusion and diversity efforts and monitors their progress on a regular basis. It has also defined female leadership participation targets for the first two management levels until 2025.
Diversity in governance bodies at Fresenius Medical Care has greatly increased in recent years.
The more diverse we are, the more we can learn from each other, and the more successful we will be as a team. To be able to feel we belong and develop our full potential, we need to respect and value each other. That way, we can contribute most effectively to creating a future worth living for our patients across the globe.
Occupational health and safety
The health and safety of our employees and contractors is one of our top priorities. Occupational health and safety measures include identifying, mitigating and preventing potential work-related hazards and risks.
In 2021, we defined a global Occupational Health and Safety Policy that outlines our commitment to providing a healthy and safe workplace for our employees and contractors. This is also incorporated in our Code of Ethics and Business Conduct.
As part of our Global Sustainability Program, we aim to facilitate the sharing of best practices across all of our regions to identify the root causes of incidents and take appropriate corrective and preventive action.