1. In a first step, we created a comprehensive list of potential material topics based on a competitor benchmark, our corporate risk management reporting, ESG ratings and rankings such as DJSI, CDP and MSCI, best-practice guidelines including GRI or the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The list also included the results of our trend and media analysis.
2. To prioritize the sustainability topics according to their business relevance, we then conducted an online survey, in which we asked representatives of all regions and functions to assess the importance of the individual topics for Fresenius Medical Care.
3. To gain an internal perspective on our contribution to sustainable development, we used the comprehensive and internally accepted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a proxy to help us understand how our business activities impact non-financial aspects.
4. We then asked our stakeholders for feedback and identified external stakeholders to review the results and make sure that the materiality analysis process and the results derived from it are sound.
5. Finally, we involved senior management and asked them to test the results of our materiality analysis and validate the outcome.
In 2020, we reviewed our materiality analysis. It confirmed the prioritization of key areas identified in 2019. We continuously monitor and evaluate upcoming topics and areas of interest for our stakeholders.